Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Toddlers helping the grieving process

Just over an hour ago the world lost one of the biggest jokesters I've ever known. My dad's brother Marty passed away after battling many health problems. Sunday we spent the afternoon with him and had a good visit. His breathing with heavy but he was able to make fun of us every once in a while. At one point I asked what he needed and he said "well, I could use a kick in the ass". Later he propositioned the nurse, if she gave him a shot in the butt he and my dad would take her to dinner. I think she only came in to check the monitors but she was tempted to take him up on the offer. That is exactly the kind of person my uncle was, he always had something to say and he wasn't shy about it.

Kaitlyn saw me crying tonight and she said "Mom, why are you crying? Are you sad?" Then she got me a bath towel and wiped my face off. She ran down the hall and said "dad, come here, mom is crying, she is sad"

My niece Riley is 4, when my dad called from the hospital to share the news she answered the phone and said "Papa, is your brother an angel yet?" I guess having a toddler around helps with the grieving process.

Tonight there is a new angel in heaven and many heavy hearts left here on earth.

No comments: